All classes and testing are at RMC library computer lab. 2019 dates.
Class time is from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Testing is at 10 a.m.
September 21. Class
September 28. Testing
November 9. Class
November 16. Testing
(Enter from17th Street, drive east on Permit Park till dead-ends in parking lot, Enter building directly adjacent to parking lot, with Trojan Horse Sculpture at doorway.) This is the highly-successful class that will lead you to your first Amateur Radio license.Costs: The license class is FREE.
The FCC Exam fee is $15. Here’s the process:
1. Attend the license class at the Library on the dates above
2. Study at home the next week (we recommend one hour/day)
3. Take the FCC Exam here in Billings
4. Attend “New Ham Night”
5. Enjoy your Ham Radio License the rest of your life!Added Bonus: when you obtain your Ham Radio License, the Yellowstone Radio Club grants you free membership for one year in the local club! (a $50 Value!)What can you do with your Ham Radio License?• Operate a base station, mobile radio, or handheld radio
• Communicate with other ham radio operators around the world
• Communicate through satellites, including talking directly with the astronauts on the International Space Station
• Conduct computer-to-computer Live Chat conversations with other hams – with no wires, no cellphones, no wifi, and no internet between you
• Provide Health and Safety radio communications for local community events like Peaks-to-Prairie, Montana Marathon, and several others
• Provide emergency radio communications in times of disaster to help your family and neighborsPlus, if you are currently a student:
• Volunteer Activities look very good on college applications (required for many schools and scholarships)
• Obtaining an FCC Ham Radio License looks really good on a job application